How to set External interface with ISP assigned DHCP address

Discuss and get help to implement a CacheGuard Gateway into your networks
Jyrin

How to set External interface with ISP assigned DHCP address

Post by Jyrin »

Hi, I could not figure how to set external interface as DHCP mode. Is the only way assign static IP address to external interface? I tried assign external address like 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 but that doesnt work. static IP v4 address are not available for normal ADLS users from my ISP.
david

Re: How to set External interface with ISP assigned DHCP address

Post by david »

Dear Jyrin

With CacheGuard network interfaces can't be configured with a dynamic IP address for security reasons. The appliance uses lots of internal security rules that make it impossible to assign dynamic IP addresses to its network interfaces.

How your ADSL modem is configured? As a router or a bridge? Can you configure it as a router in order to share your Internet connection? The dynamic IP address you get: is it a public IP address or private (RF1918)?

If your ADSL modem supports the routing mode there is no remaining issue as you can assign a static IP address to the external interface of CG (that IP address should belong to the internal private network configured on your ADSL router).

If you directly get a public IP address (your ADSL modem don't support the routing mode) and if you intend to install CacheGuard on a VM supporting NATed networks (for instance VMware vmnet8), I think that you can solve the issue by assigning to the external interface of CacheGuard a static IP address in the NAT network. But I have never tested that.

Best Regards,
David Janeway
CacheGuard Technical Team
https://www.cacheguard.com