Error 1009

Discuss and get help to install CacheGuard OS
FortifyIT

Error 1009

Post by FortifyIT »

Hi

Issue with installed CG off the ISO, getting error 1009. Cannot Format your HDD's. Your HDD's requires some maintenance operations.

It's sitting on a RAID60, 12 drives, It sees the 2300mb "hard drive" so it recognizes things.

what do we have to do for maintenance?
FortifyIT

Re: Error 1009

Post by FortifyIT »

I was trying to add a picture but no matter how I cropped it, it said too large

Hardware config

Hard drives details

Green Check - HD [1]: 2231 gb
david

Post by david »

Hi,

It would appear that the fdisk program can't create a partition during the installation. A possible reason might be the presence of another OS on your HDD. Also with a HDD larger that 2 TB it is likely that the cache partition exceed the upper limit of 2 TB.

Please select the Maintenance option in the installation main menu to run a Linux shell.
CG-Installation-Main-Menu.png
CG-Installation-Main-Menu.png (19.17 KiB) Viewed 9435 times
Then you can use the following Linux command to inspect your HDD partitions:

Code: Select all

fdisk /dev/sda
If you are familiar with that Linux command you can try to delete all partitions and retry an installation. To return to the installation program use the following command:

Code: Select all

exit
If the problem persists you can try one of the following methods (or a combination of all of them):

1- Increase your logs partitions by increasing your logs retention period (the maximum value is 31 days). In this way you will get a smaller partition for the Web cache (hopefully less than 2 TB). To set the logs retention period select the Inputs option in the installation main menu and hit enter until you reach the screen below and then enter 31 for the logs retention period.
CG-Installation-Inputs.png
CG-Installation-Inputs.png (18.74 KiB) Viewed 9435 times
2- Reduce your HDD capacity usage. For instance you can use 90 (for 90%) instead of 100. You can modify this value in the Main Inputs screen (see above).

3- Remove some HDD from your RAID group at the BIOS level to reduce your total HDD capacity. We normally recommend a 2 TB HDD for a 1250 users installation. For how many users are you installing CG?

4- Finally you can create two RAID groups of 1115.5 each (2231/2) so CG will detect two HDDs and share its Web cache between those 2 HDDs. Hence, you get around the 2 TB limit problem.

Best Regards,
David Janeway
CacheGuard Technical Team
https://www.cacheguard.com
FortifyIT

Post by FortifyIT »

It's a freshly initialized Raid setup after I had to fix the hard drives and all that.

I gave up on the VM from the network configure as no matter what, nothing worked. I'll update that when I get the OS installed.

I'll give the commands a try and see if that will do it.

I'll update when I try.

Thanks again David

Mike
FortifyIT

Post by FortifyIT »

Hard drive size was just too big. Reduced it to 90% and it's doing it's install thing.

Thanks!
david

Post by david »

Hi,
It's good to hear that
Best Regards,
David Janeway
CacheGuard Technical Team
https://www.cacheguard.com
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

Hi,

Thanks David for that quick analysis!

We will certainly have to replace the old fdisk command by something new (like parted) to remedy that FS size limitation imposed by fdisk. It is good to know that CG's Linux kernel (v 3.10.100 at the time of writing) used by the current version of CacheGuard-OS (EH-1.3.6 at the time of writing) supports partitions up to 16TB for reiserfs FS (used for the Web cache partitions) and up to 4TB for ext3 FS (used or other partitions) and it would be a shame not to take advantage of it.

All the Best,
Charles Tajvidi
IT Technical Architect
http://www.cacheguard.com